The genre of the expository essay is a coherent, logical, and organized written work on a given topic in a limited size in which the author’s own ideas are generated on the basis of the processed or reproduced information from the texts of other authors with the goal of demonstrating their competence in a particular sphere through the promotion of the thesis and its explanation.
In the academic discursive community, the degree of possession of the expository essay as a genre of the academic written discourse is an indication of the maturity and solvency of the student as a specialist and researcher in a particular field. This situation is due to the fact that this genre is the basis for larger academic written forms, such as coursework and diploma, a scientific article and a dissertation.
Aspects of Expository Essay
Academic written discourse in general and the expository essay as its genre have two aspects:
This means that the essay can be considered both as a process of generating a text, going through the stages of defining a topic, collecting material, planning, sketching, editing, and how the text itself, having certain properties (connectivity, integrity, construction, and addressing) written in a specific register with observance of certain rhetorical and sociocultural conventions. This fact determines the purpose of teaching academic discursive community – mastering the skill of written speech behavior and its content – the properties of discourse, realized through the register and the rhetorical structure of the genre.
Features of an Expository Essay
To better understand how to write an expository essay, let’s first look at its main features.
The style of the paper differs in the following:
To show the audience your personal perception, you need to do the following:
- Use various examples
- Create parallels
- Choose analogies
- Apply all kinds of associations
The paper is characterized by the application of a number of means of artistic expressiveness that include:
- Allegorical and parable images
It will be more interesting to read the paper if it includes the following:
- Unpredictable summaries
- Sudden turns
- Exciting clutches
According to the construction of the speech, the paper is a dynamic interchange of polemical statements, questions, the installation of vocabulary, and spoken intonation.
Specifics of the Essay Genre
- The header of the paper is not straight dependent on the theme: plus to the reflection of the content of the paper, it can be a beginning point in the author’s reflections, showing the relation of the part and the whole.
- The composition in a free style follows its inward logic, and the basic point of the paper is to be found in the author’s reflections. Then, the discussed issue will be studied from various angles.
- If in a paper on a literary topic the rational junction of the analysis of an art piece with its argumentation should prevail, then the author’s opinion is obviously stated in the paper.
- If in the traditional composition individual features of the language and style of the author of compositions are introduced, then in the paper the individual author’s style is a demand of the genre.
How to Write an Expository Essay Professionally?
If you are supposed to write an essay on an object that you know or do not know, then it can turn into a difficult test in which you try to fill the necessary size of the essay with the right words that do not really fit in the meaning and do not convey the essence. Read below to find out how to write an expository essay in a professional way?
Be knowledgeable and considerate. Quantity has never meant a quality for the teacher. It is always better to write shorter, but more accurately than composing an essay about nothing. Remember this when studying this method. In addition, some of the listed methods can be regarded as a scam and serve as a basis for problems with the instructor. In some schools, colleges, and universities this will even be enough to expel you. You must learn the rules of your school.
- It is not necessary to use all of the following methods. This will be an obvious attempt of imitation and this will be a failure. If your essay was too long (perhaps you are overdoing something), then remove some parts. In addition, if you initially have a problem and it is that you write too much, then conduct an analysis, perhaps you make some of the errors indicated here.
- Understand that if you can read this, then the professor may be aware of the use of these tricks.
- Using all of them (especially font size and line spacing) in a university or college is likely to lead your work to failure.
Adjusting Text and Content
Use the preamble and the ending. Insert your opinion at the end of each paragraph. Do not use the same sentence word for word in every paragraph – it will not make your essay more convincing, more professional, and thoughtful but longer. Since the conclusions are repeated, it may be noticed by one of the inspectors. So, use this at your own risk.
Avoid abbreviations. Use them as little as possible. Instead of Math. An. write a mathematical analysis. In academic writing, such abbreviations are highly undesirable. If you study at the university, it will help get better grades.
Write all the numbers that are less than 10 in words. You must write down all the numbers (instead of 1, 2, 3, etc.) since this writing requirement will not only make your essay longer, but also more attractive.
Avoid pronouns. Instead of “we went swimming” try using “my friends and I went to swim.” Be careful with this, as this can lead to the fact that the essay will have a lot of extra words, for which you can get a lower grade.
Try to use many quotes. Instead of simple torn phrases, use the whole chunks of text. Be sure that you can put them in the right place and they will be relevant and related to the rest of the text otherwise the reader will tag these parts on the margins.
Instead of “This color is red,” say “This amazing work is full of warm pleasant colors: red, orange, and burgundy.” To increase the size of your essay you can show your interest in the chosen topic, which will also be useful doubly. Here, too, do not abuse the method, as this can make the essay less presentable.
- Use long words instead of short words.
- If you have problems with coming up with longer words, you can use the synonym program in the editor.
Write a conclusion. The conclusion should not be limited to one paragraph. A sign of good tone is the conclusion of half or even the entire page, depending on the size of the page, which describes the theory and your opinion about it.
Other Advice on How to Write an Expository Essay Well
- If the last sentence of the paragraph ends at the end of the page, add one word so that they go to the new page. (Adjectives are the best friends of students).
- Do not use abbreviations. For example, use People’s Republic of China instead of PRC.
- Use a lot of descriptive synonyms to make the text longer and more attractive.
- Break the big paragraphs into the smaller ones. This will also make the text more readable for the teacher.
- Make a double space after the full stop. This is an old-fashioned technique of writing, which again comes into fashion, although not so popular, so you can always say that you just did not know that a certain teacher forbids it.
- Increase the font size of the point and other punctuation marks, which surprisingly add volume to the text. But do not make it too noticeable.
- Most fields of 1 inch can be increased to 1.15 inches, 1.2 inches, or even 1.25 inches. Here you act at your own risk. 1.25 inches are usually very noticeable.
- Add data to the upper right corner, for example, name, course, period, teacher’s full name, etc.
- Make sure that each paragraph has an introductory part, a basic part, and a conclusion.
- Add a long introduction and conclusion, but do not make them excessively large.
- Add words and phrases that do not significantly affect the meaning.
- Make a cover. This helps to link all the work together and add to it the finishing touch.
- If you write essays for universities, then try to use the British version of English, which can also add volume to the text. But be careful with their exact spelling.
- Add images.
- If you have already set the font size, you need to specify only the addition of 0.5, so if you had 12 then it will become 12.5, which is almost imperceptible. This is a great method, if you received an individual assignment and the teacher has nothing to compare.
- Make sure that you have not violated your instructor’s instructions regarding fields, font, sizes, indents, etc. If the requirements are specific, then their violation can greatly affect your assessment.